This titular reference is to what T and I consider to be the very lowest of points on our trip- the overnight boat ride from Bari, Italy to Corfu, Greece. Words cannot describe the horrors aboard this boat, which we like to refer to as the SS Scum Sauce. The ferry was headed to Igoumenitsa, Greece- one of the only ports to get to Albania. Now, I hope no Albanians are reading our blog, because T and I hate you. I'm not kidding, this was a boat full of the smelliest, rudest, loudest, smokiest, most horrible people we have ever had the displeasure of knowing.
Though we paid a pretty penny for a seat on this 11 hour journey, actually getting to that seat was quite the battle. There were people splayed out on every square inch of floor space, luggage blocking our paths every which way, and an old gross lady's feet and greasy head regularly falling onto our seats. While we could not get to our 2 seats, there were Albanians stretched across 4 and 5 seats a piece.
So T and I tried to sleep on the upper deck under the stars (on top of one of the engine covers), but it was too cold in the wind and everything was wet. We also tried sleeping in our seats, but a supersonic snorer prevented that. The only wink of sleep we got was in the bar where many people in our position, blocked from their seats, finally passed out in the chairs in this smelly littered space while listening to the bongs and bells of the neighboring "casino," AKA 4 electronic gambling machines. T tried to help me out by reminding me that RLance and TMeyer did this for months throughout Asia, and I knew they were really hardy guys. Inspired by them, I was tough, and I only cried a little bit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jim Belushi was an Albanian. 'nuff said.
Post a Comment