"One single Anne Frank moves us more than the countless others who have suffered just as she did but whose faces have remained in the shadows. Perhaps it's better that way; if we were capable of taking in all the suffering of all those people, we would not be able to live."
Primo Levi, writer and Holocaust surviver
Now, I certainly can't end on such a sad note, people. So here goes with the hilarity. T and I started a game while in Amsterdam based on the fact that even the smartest non-Dutch speaker cannot remember the name of a store, restaurant, or anything else in Holland for more than 2 minutes no matter how hard he may try. We would challenge each other regularly and prove this point over and over. Well, we read about a local (and historical, really) distillery that served a traditional beverage called jenever. This gin-like liquor is served in tulip shaped glasses and filled to the top so that the drinker must lean over and drink it sans hands in order not to spill it. T and I went to this distillery that has been in business since 1679 and is still going strong. While we visited it twice, talked about it 10 times, and drank there extensively, the best I could muster up when challenged to remember their name was "Handjob Junkbox," and it will forever be known as that. However, if you'd like to check out Wynand Fockink yourself, here's their website!
http://www.wynand-fockink.nl/en/home.html
No comments:
Post a Comment