Sunday, December 30, 2007

Turkey Two

Our visit to the Basilica Cistern was unlike anything we had seen before. Built in the 6th century during the reign of Emperor Justinian I, this underground marvel was both mysterious and beautiful. Water (up to 80,000 cubic meters) was brought from north of the city via aqueducts to the cistern. The space was dank, cool, and stale, and the few fish that adapted to the unique surroundings were blind and albino. The most talked about features of the site are the two Medusa heads featured in the back of the cistern. One is on its side, while one is upside down. No one really knows why, but the various explanations are certainly interesting. We were also introduced to a ritual while in the cistern involving what we think is called the "wall of tears." Supposedly if one maneuvers their hand in a certain way in these variously placed holes throughout the city, they can feel the tears of the virgin. I tried the ritual in the wettest place in the city, so whether it was tears or ancient underground scum, I certainly felt some moisture. ***Watch the video and see me impress an elderly local with my technique.
After the cistern, we took our chances in the Grand Bazaar. I've never experienced salesmanship with quite this level of enthusiasm in all of my life. I had previously found the merchants on Canal St. to be the pushiest I had ever seen, but I would take 10 of them to just one Turkish pusher. The Bazaar had everything one might dream of buying- spices, clothing, souvenirs, artwork. There was literally an entire street devoted to the sale of buttons, hooks, and fasteners. The experience was amazing, but I cannot express my happiness at escaping those short little guys relentlessly trying to push 5 packs of men's Hilfiger socks on me.


Basilica Cistern


Medussa I


Medusa II



Wall of Tears


Grand Bazaar




No comments: